School Counseling Program Description (Master of Arts in Education - M.A.Ed)
The School Counseling program (Master of Arts in Education -M.A.Ed) prepares individuals to become school counselors. The Provisional School Counseling Certificate will be awarded by EPSB upon completion of the 48 hour degree program. The School Counseling Certification earn will be at the P-12 level.
All graduate school admissions requirements must be met which includes a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale and completion of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT). The Applicant must meet one of the following requirements for admission to the programs:
- An undergraduate overall grade point overage of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or
- An undergraduate GPA of 3.25 on a 4.0 scale on the last 60 hours or
- A minimum of 146 (400 on old version) on the verbal section of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or
- A minimum of 146 (400 on old version) on the performance section of the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or
- A minimum of 365 on the Miller Analogies Test (MAT)
48 hours including 6-9 hours internship, taken over 2-3 semesters.
The Standard Guidance Certification program allows those holding a Provisional Certificate in Elementary, Secondary, or P-12 grades in School Counseling to convert their provisional certification into Standard Guidance Certification. Students holding a 48 hour master degree in School Counseling are required to earn 6 graduate hours above their masters degree.
Standard Guidance Certification Requirement Electives - 6 hours
Rank 1 Certification Requirement Electives* - 12 hours
* Rank 1 in School Counseling must have at least 60 graduate hours in a planned program and be selected with advisor approval.
Endorsement Preparation Programs are study which do not lead to a degree or to an EKU awarded recognition, but instead, prepare students for professional endorsement by the Commonwealth of Kentucky Education Professional Standards Board.
Elementary Education Counselor seeking Secondary School Counseling Endorsement - 6 hours of core work plus 6 hours of approved electives.
Secondary School Counselor seeking Elementary School Counseling Endorsement - 6 hours of core work plus 6 hours of approved electives.