Skip to main content

Requirement to have Professional Liability Insurance

On August 18th of 2004 the Faculty unanimously voted that beginning in the Spring semester of 2005 all students enrolled in Mental Health and School Counseling Programs would be required to purchase professional liability insurance beginning in COU 846 through completion of internship. All faculty teaching courses (other than the EPY classes, COU 813 and COU 840) will verify that students have insurance before they allow students to proceed in their classes.

In the past, students have also been allowed to use their professional association professional liability coverage (such as through KEA) in Practicum and Internship. This will no longer be allowed as our research has shown that most of these types of coverage's cover their members only in their regular duties as an employee but not specifically as a student counselor.

The department will accept any Professional Liability Insurance that specifically says it covers student counselors/counselors in training in their role as a student counselor. An example of this type of insurance plan is available via the web at A one year policy for a student clinical or school counselor is approximately $32. This plan is also endorsed by KCA and there is additional information on it available on the web at If you have other questions contact any faculty member in the Counseling and Educational Psychology unit.

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/