Practicum & Internship
The Practicum/Internship Process can be confusing to navigate. This webpage has been created to assist you. It is VERY IMPORANT to familiarize yourself with the current Practicum/Internship Handbook. It is designed to answer most of your questions. However, we are always here to help. If you have questions or concerns, contact your advisor. Deadlines for submitting the applications are as follows:
- March 1, 2018 - for Summer 2018 placement
- July 1, 2018 - for Fall 2018 placement
- November 1, 2018 - for Spring 2019 placement
The following steps are required and verified to be completed.
Step 1: Becoming Familiar with the Practicum/Internship Process (to be completed prior to submitting your application)
Step 2: Pre-Requisites (to be completed prior to submitting your application)
Step 3: Finding a Practicum/Internship Site? (to be completed prior to deadline dates listed above)
It is VERY IMPORTANT to familiarize yourself with the Practicum/Internship Handbook. It will answer many of your questions and enhance your experience.
Practicum/Internship Handbook (link will be updated soon)
DegreeWorks is an important tool in your student experience. It helps you to know that you have met (or will meet) all pre-requisites prior to beginning your Practicum/Internship placement. The Department will confirm the information as well. Any pre-requesites not met will delay your application process. Degree Works or Prerequisites for Practicum and Internship
ALL Clinical Mental Health Counseling placements will be approved by Dr. Angela Spiers, Clinical Coordinator. All School Counseling placements will be approved by Dr. Nathan Underwood. DO NOT contact any sites without prior approval. EKU must approve the site before you can contact them as some sites are not appropriate or they do not have counselors with the right credentials, etc.
Once the site is approved by the clinical coordinator, it is the student's responsibility to contact the site to inquire about practicum positions. (Kind of like searching and applying for a job.) When a site is found, complete the paperwork on the Department website. Be sure to list the name and license number of the site supervisor. You will receive an email to schedule a time to discuss your placement with the clinical coordinator. Please be patient as this can take some time to verify information.
Some schools/agencies require a State Police or FBI criminal background check prior to starting work. This can take up to six (6) weeks. If required, it is the student’s responsibility to verify and obtain a background check with the intended site at least two months prior to starting practicum/internship.
NOTE: If you know a potential practicum/internship site that is not listed in our database, please contact your program's clincial coordinator. We are always looking for new sites to serve the needs of our students.
Four (4) separate application forms (one additional as it applies to School Counseling) are required and must be completed prior to the semester deadlines. You will find the forms listed below. If you would like to intern in:
- Summer 2018, the deadline to apply is March 1, 2018
- Fall 2018 - the deadline to apply is July 1, 2018
- Spring 2019 - the deadline to apply is November 1, 2018
Follow these Steps to Apply for Practicum/Internship
- Submit all required forms (listed below) to the COU Office via email at couoffice.eku.edu.
- After the Submission Deadline WAIT to receive an email from one of the Practicum/Internship Coordinator indicating your approval for enrollment in Practicum/Internship and approval status of your requested site. During this time, the Coordinator will be looking over all of your information to ensure requirements have been met. It may take a while but rest assured your information is being carefully considered. You will not be allowed to 'officially' register for the course until you receive approval from the Counselor Education Department.
- Once your information has been approved, you will receive an email from the COU Office with instructions on how to register for the course. (Practicum COU 880 & Internship COU 881)