Skip to main content

M.A.Ed. in School Counseling as Second Degree After the EKU M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling

Graduates of the M.A. Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology at EKU may earn a second masters degree in School Counseling by taking the following coursework. Substitutions may be made in some cases depending on background and experience of the student. Total hours earned on both degrees must be at least 72 hours.

Required: M.A. Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from EKU……60 hrs
Additional required coursework needed for the M.A.Ed. in School Counseling

COU814 Administration and Consultation in Counseling Services 3 Hours
COU825 Developmental Counseling with School Age Children 3 Hours
COU880 Counseling Practicum (in a school setting) 3 Hours
COU881 Internship in Counseling (in a school setting) 3-6 Hours

Total 72 - 75 hours

Admission Criteria: The admission criteria are the same for both degrees so if someone successfully completes either of the two degrees they may be admitted to the other degree upon application.

Exit Exam: Both degrees require the Counseling Program Comprehensive Exam (CPCE), which is a nationally standardized examination. Since students will already have passed the CPCE when they earned the first degree, for their second degree Comprehensive Exam they will take a department exam over their specialty area. They will not be required to retake the CPCE for their second degree.

Individuals who hold the School Counseling or Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree from an institution other than EKU will fall within the current policies and procedures of the EKU Graduate School when they apply at EKU.

If you choose to earn the second degree you will need to go to the EKU Graduate School website and submit the online application to the School Counseling program just as you would if applying to be admitted to any other master’s degree program.

Next you will need to apply online at the Department website. Select the option: I have already earned the M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling at Eastern Kentucky University and I am now applying for the M.A. Ed. in School Counseling.

You will not need to submit another resume, writing sample, or email addresses of references.

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/