Skip to main content

M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling as Second Degree After the EKU M.A.Ed. in School Counseling

Graduates of the M.A.Ed. in School Counseling from the Department of Counseling and Educational Psychology at EKU may earn a second masters degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling by taking the following coursework.

Substitutions may be made in some cases depending on background and experience of the student. Total hours earned on both degrees must be at least 72 hours.

Required: M.A.Ed. in School Counseling from EKU……48 hrs
Additional required coursework for the M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling

COU803 Principles and Practices of Clinical Mental Health Counseling 3 Hours
COU849 Addictions Disorders Counseling 3 Hours
COU850 Family Counseling 3 Hours
COU880 Counseling Practicum (in a mental health setting) 3 Hours
COU881 Internship in Counseling (in a mental health setting) 3-6 Hours

Electives: *Six to nine additional hours from courses listed below:

COU826 Assessment in Counseling 3 Hours
COU827 Individual Assessment of Intelligence 3 Hours
COU856 Practicum in Intellectual Assessment 3 Hours
COU852 The Counseling Process in Grief and Loss 3 Hours
COU853 The Counseling Process in Clinical Sexuality 3 Hours
COU870 Introduction to Play Therapy 3 Hours
COU871 Advanced Play Therapy 3 Hours
COU872 Practicum in Play Therapy 3 Hours
COU885 Clinical Supervision of Counseling 3 Hours
COU891 Issues and Trends in Counseling 3 Hours

Others may be chosen with approval of Department Chair
*If only three hours of internship is needed to get the 600 clock hours nine hours of electives will be needed.

Admission Criteria: The admission criteria are the same for both degrees so if someone successfully completes either of the two degrees they may be admitted to the other degree upon application.

Exit Exam: Both degrees require the Counseling Program Comprehensive Exam (CPCE), which is a nationally standardized examination. Since students will already have passed the CPCE when they earned the first degree, for their second degree Comprehensive Exam they will take a department exam over their specialty area.

They will not be required to retake the CPCE for their second degree. If you choose to earn the second degree you will need to go to the EKU Graduate School website and submit the online application to the School Counseling program just as you would if applying to be admitted to any other master’s degree program.

Next you will need to apply online at the Department website. Select the option: I have already earned the M.A.Ed. in School Counseling at Eastern Kentucky University and I am now applying for the M.A. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.

You will not need to submit another resume, writing sample, or email addresses of references.

Open /*deleted href=#openmobile*/