Comprehensive Examination Information
- Consistent with EKU policy both the School Counseling and Clinical Mental Health Counseling master's degree programs require students to pass a comprehensive exam as a requirement for graduation. The counseling department faculty have chosen the nationally normed Counselor Preparation Comprehensive Exam (CPCE) as the Comprehensive Exam for these programs.
- Students must register to take the exam on the department website as well as through EKUDirect. Necessary overrides will be sent to you after you submit your online exam application to the department.
- In EKUDirect you will need to register for one of the exams below according to your degree program. You register for the exam like you would register for a class. This is a administrative procedure used to communicate the fact that you are registered for the exam and later the exam results to the Graduate School. Althogh we treat it like a course in terms of registration it is not really a course and there is not fee associated with registrations for the GRD. The exam publisher does charge a fee of $50.00 per student. This must be paid with either a money order or cashier's checkat the time you take the test. NBCC will not accept a personal check.
- GRD 877J-Clinical Mental Health Counseling written exam
- GRD 877L-School Counseling written exam
- If your are earning a second degree in counseling from EKU you will take an oral comprehensive exam.
- GRD 878S - Clinical Mental Health Counseling oral exam
- GRD 878U for School Counseling oral exam
- You will receive an email confirming receipt of your application at your EKU Email address.
- Comprehensive Examination for the Master of Arts in Education With Emphasis in School Counseling and Masters of Arts Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Comprehensive Exam Schedule
- Comprehensive Exam Cut-Off Scores
- Steps for Graduation
The Counselor Preparatioin Comprehensive Exam (CPCE) is a multiple choice test over the following areas as defined by CACREP and NBCC.
Human Growth and Development
The Helping Relationships
Social and Cultural Foundations
Research and Evaluation
Lifestyle and Career Development
The department recommends the purchase of a test preparation kit at the beginning of the student's program in order to best prepare for the CPCE and NCE. See 2009 Standards at CACREP.org for content and specialty areas.
Comprehensive Exam Results
CPCE answer sheets are sent directly to the Center for Credentialing & Education (CCE) for scoring. Usually exam results are sent within two weeks to the department from CCE and then emailed from the department chair directly to each student taking the exam. Specific questions regarding the Comprehensive Exams should be made to Dr. Lawrence Crouch.